þriðjudagur, ágúst 10, 2004

newbie in Iceland

I was worn out like Jack Nicholson after the filming of the Shining yesterday, but took a late morning nap and then went to the swimming pool. My hosts have an exchange student named Amin from Morocco/Denmark living here a few weeks before he gets his own place in the city, so we've been hanging out. He's a good man. He's gonna help me lift furniture when it arrives and I'll be driving him around the joint in exchange, probably.

I had a wonderful meal with the whole family last night - Heida (who leaves for Denmark in a week), her mom and dad, and Amin. I bought some saltfiskur (salted cod) and we whipped that up with some oil/garlic/pepper and new potatoes. Also some $9-a-pack baby asparagus. And strawberries and whipped cream for dessert. They make me feel very welcome here. And they're teaching me some language, too.

I went to the new company yesterday afternoon to get something signed and people were so nice to me! There's already one guy who looks like he may become new-friend-in-the-making. He took some time to stop work and have coffee with me and he told me all about his amazing 12-minute commute.

Last night it was light out until 11 and this morning sunrise was around 5... I couldn't sleep after it got light out. By the time I get used to it, there won't be any morning light any mo'.

This town is very full of bumbling tourists. I've never been here in the "high season" before... I'm just trying not to trip on them.

0 Comments:

Skrifa ummæli

<< Home