laugardagur, janúar 22, 2005

saturday morning coffee

...has taken on a new name here in Iceland. Laugardagsmorgunkaffi. Yes, they do like the compound words here. But I'm sure you clever readers can at least parse out the words for "morning" and "coffee" from that jumbo-sized word.

Lyle and I started SMC/lmk way back in the halcyon days of the year 2000, when my main man Billy C was in the White House and everyone was riding high on the tech bubble. SMC was an outgrowth of our desire to brew up strong coffee on a Saturday, then sit on our front porch in North Cambridge (bare feet and mugs resting on the sun-warmed concrete steps) and say "good morning" to people as they walked past. Then we invited a couple of neighbors and a couple of friends, and soon the whole thing settled into a regular rhythm and a regular crew. Routine introductions of newer and wackier coffee-brewing technology kept the guests (or at least us) coming back.

Or maybe it was the conversation. SMC produced some gems, such as this front-porch exchange over the effect of oil prices on the economy:

Guy Staff: "You need gas to get milk."
Adam Ross (shooting back): "You need milk to get gas."

When I moved to Iceland I realized after a few weeks that although I told everyone back home that I knew thousands of people here, I really only knew about 3. To rectify this, I decided to dust off the SMC tradition, rebranded in a new Iceland-friendly guise. And thus laugardagsmorgunkaffi was born.

Today was my 4th or 5th lmk, and the format has taken a new twist for me here in Iceland. Namely that my guests by and large are speaking a language that I am struggling to learn. But people chat, and mix, and pour repeat helpings of black black coffee from the carafe. I listen to the Icelandic flow past me, as I brew up another 60-ounce French press. SMC lives on.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Nafnlaus said...

Hæ Jared,ég komst ekki til þín eftir allt, vonandi býður þú mér samt aftur :)

Kv. Nína

22.1.05  
Anonymous Nafnlaus said...

Sounds relaxing! If I visit you I'll be sure to include this in my trip :-)

23.1.05  
Anonymous Nafnlaus said...

I forgot to sign my post. It was me, Paul L.

23.1.05  
Blogger JB said...

If you visit, PLo, I'll host a special lmk in your honor.

23.1.05  
Anonymous Nafnlaus said...

Rosalega gaman að koma til þín í kaffi, þetta er svo sniðugt hjá þér :)

Kveðja
Ásdís

24.1.05  
Anonymous Nafnlaus said...

I'll hold you to that, J!
-PL

28.1.05  
Anonymous Nafnlaus said...

As I recall, a wise man once said, "A clean break in the coffee grinder leads to a clean break in the..."

20.2.05  

Skrifa ummæli

<< Home