fimmtudagur, janúar 08, 2009

the thin blue line

This morning at 9:30 I was getting into my car in the Kópavogur wilds and I saw something amazing: a thin little blue streak of light in an otherwise black and rainy sky. It was quite a bit shocking. It didn't seem to belong. It was as if the blackness of space had been rent aside, revealing a bright world beyond, as though someone had pulled back black velvet stage curtains to reveal a painted backdrop in bright neon eggshell blue. It crept up on me, this sneaky blue crack, and when I got out of my car a few minutes later, there it was again looking down on me in downtown Reykavík. From somewhere far beyond, the light is on its way back.

1 Comments:

Blogger JB said...

Amazingly, since I wrote this 9 days ago we have added around 45 minutes of daylight and are now adding more than 5 minutes a day, every day. Also the sun is noticeably higher in the sky since then, and today was downright brilliant at 1 p.m.

17.1.09  

Skrifa ummæli

<< Home