mánudagur, febrúar 07, 2005

bun day

Well, today is something called Shrove Monday in English. For you non-Lenten-types, this is the Monday before Ash Wednesday, and a time to confess your sins. But in Iceland they have their own spin on it, of course. Here they call it Bolludagur, or Bun Day. I was expecting some kind of dry floury dinner rolls, but instead our human resources guy just wheeled in two 24-count crates of fresh-made cream-filled chocolate-covered eclairs, each the size and heft of a small dog. Work came to a halt, everyone made themselves coffee at the machine, sat down around the kitchen table, rehashed the weekend, and wolfed down a couple pastries apiece.

I got to thinking, maybe this Bun Day tradition explains the following Spinal Tap lyrics, from their perennial favorite "Big Bottom":

I met her on Mon-day
'Twas my lucky Bun Day
You know what I mean...

Who knew I had to move to Iceland for the final obscure Spinal Tap reference to fall into place?

Tomorrow is "explosion day". I'll let you know how that goes.

1 Comments:

Blogger EnuhCorK said...

Now I do 'know what he means'...

Here I was thinking it was a poor attempt at rhyming with 'Monday'.

Well, Spinal Tap is from England...maybe we would know about Bun Day if we lived on the European continent.

YEAG!

7.2.05  

Skrifa ummæli

<< Home