fimmtudagur, apríl 14, 2005

new word

So I am always puzzling over the headlines here, seeing if I can understand them in Icelandic. And there is always one word, the word that seems to be the crux of the matter, that I don't get. ("___ bites dog.")

Well, today that word was "kynlíf". Hours later I saw the word again when my friend Styrmir was laughing at an Icelandic chain letter he was reading and translating for me.

"Hey what's this word?" I said, pointing.

"Ummm, that's 'sex'," he said.

It gave my coworkers a good laugh at lunch today. I've now been here 8 months, just completed Icelandic Level 2 at the University, and didn't know the word for "sex". Looks like I have a long way to go yet on the language. On the upside, my lack of knowledge of this particular Icelandic word made my Boston-based girlfriend happy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Nafnlaus said...

sex bites dog.....strange country up there.
-jdk

14.4.05  
Blogger Eyjolfur said...

For more interesting translations check out the film "Army of Darkness" a.k.a. Evil Dead 3.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106308/


One fine example:
Sheila: But what of all those sweet words you spoke in private
Ash: Oh that's just what we call pillow talk, baby, that's all.


How do you think the very creative translator translated the term "pilow talk" to Icelandic?

"Létt hjal sem fylgir bólförum"
(Shallow conversation which follows after making love)

15.4.05  
Anonymous Nafnlaus said...

These might be some words you'd like to memorize
Samfarir
Bólfarir
Flatús
Ríða
Kynsvall
Útilega
Þórsmörk
Steinsmuga
Niðurgangur
Þynka

Suðurgötu kirkjugarður
perri

28.4.05  

Skrifa ummæli

<< Home