sunnudagur, apríl 02, 2006

back to boston

My brother, who returned to Boston from the Land last week, wrote this little ditty about his experience upon return to General Edward Lawrence Logan Int'l Airport:

...I had a typical (for me) "welcome to Boston!" experience which all began when I decided not to take a cab. Just missed the first 33 bus to the Blue Line, the second bus blew by without stopping. Then I see Silver Line Bendy Bus driving down a different road, headed to South Station. Great, I think, a bus to the Red Line. I run to catch it. It is $1.25. I have 1 dollar and I have a $20 bill and I have credit cards. Yet there is no way for me to pay, or get change or do anything except curse as I haul my shit back off the bus.

Back to 33 land. The blue line now has "Charlie Tickets" which I guess is the T making fun of itself (via the old Charlie On The MTA song). Wow, the new machines take credit cards and make change with dollar coins! Yet these tickets only work on the Blue Line thus far. And the machine cannot accept my credit card until the guy "with the trick" comes over and helps me.

On the BL: elder gentleman in "Norwood Cadillac" black sweatshirt (I kid you not) screams "Where you comin' from, Africa?" at 2 German tourists getting on in front of me. He keeps looking over at me and saying "Geez, you've come a long way. Fuck." And then just "Fuck."

From there it was just like another 18 hours back to Sully Road.

It's always something with this place. They try to get organized and it ends up being worse than the old way.


Ahh, Boston. But I do miss the old place. I'm addicted to Boston Legal and Fever Pitch just for the B-roll city shots. Go Sox! (But I'll be back in June. Boston in June, corn be heavy soon...)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Nafnlaus said...

Sorry to hear that LB. My own return into terminal E was smooth sailing. And, in a first, US Immigration Passport control guy asked me two routine questions and then look me in the eyes and said "welcome home". Now that's how it should be.

And, well, I popped onto the silver line the other day with no issues - but I had a chahley tickey T pass already, so no effort - and let me tell you that thing is popular - packed. No wackos in sight.

70 degress today, discovered the Harvard Museum of Natural History is free on Sundays during a walk around the yahd. Springtime baby.

2.4.06  
Blogger Jennifer Leigh said...

I never have a problem getting back into town at Logan. Odd. They probably would have let him ride for a $1 if he explained the situation. Stranger things have happened.

We should grab a drink, when you are back in town! :-)

3.4.06  
Anonymous Nafnlaus said...

I'll have to make the trip down to catch up with you when you are back over here. May need you to pick up a few things on the way...

4.4.06  
Blogger Paul said...

"Sendu inn athugasemd?" What? Ya looking for an inn? Ya can't get there from here.

In East Boston many years ago, my wife my made a wrong turn down a one-way street. There was no harm because she realized her mistake right away and pulled to the side. But that didn't stop another driver from throwing her car into reverse, driving backward more than half a block, on a curved road, just so she could yell at us and drive off. Boston is *not* a welcoming city; the only thing that charms around here is the architecture!

4.4.06  
Blogger Jennifer Leigh said...

Sendu inn athugasemd = "Send a comment"

Inn is just one or a.

4.4.06  
Blogger JB said...

Actually, "inn" = "in".

One is einn/ein/eitt, in the nominative case singular. In the other cases, and in plural, it gets more complicated. (Yes, the number one can be plural, for example, to say "one pair" of something.)

Blogger somehow updated my blog to have this one line in Icelandic, without me changing anything. I gotta track that down.

4.4.06  
Blogger Jennifer Leigh said...

Ahhhh...see, I still have a lot to learn!! I was thinking in terms of like "daginn." So "i" is not in?

I am so confused...damn Swedish lessons destroying my brain! ;-)

Thanks JB!

4.4.06  
Blogger JB said...

Hi Jennifer,

Yes, í is also in, as in "Ég fór í bíó." - "I went to the cinema." Or "Ég bý í Reykjavík." - "I live in the V-Í-K."

Also, á, which nominally means "on" can also be used for "in". Like, "Ég er á Íslandi." - "I am in (literally, on) Iceland." Kind of like saying "I am on the Cape."

"Inn" in this sense is "in" or "into" etc.

Then there are the definite articles, of which "-inn" or "-nn" is the masculine nominative singular form.

So "hestur" (a horse), to use the canonical example, becomes "hesturinn" (the horse). And "banki" (a bank) becomes "bankinn" (the bank). (Landsbankinn thus means "the Land's bank". Yeah, baby. That's my bank.)

The feminine definite article is "-in" or "-n" and in neuter it's "-ið" or "-ð". So "stelpa" (a girl) becomes "stelpan" (the girl) and "borð" (a table) becomes "borðið" (the table).

Phew... this should have been a post on its own. But that ought to get all you grammarians going.

4.4.06  
Anonymous Nafnlaus said...

Yeah, how's that springtime workin' out for you now?

Well, not sure my wee trials deserve their own post on Landsbloginn (The Land's Blog), but, no, in fact, the driver of the bus could offer me no help on having incorrect change. And this is only noteworthy because I had just come from a sparkling clean taxi (in Reyk.) where I paid by credit card.

But the guy in the Norwood Cadillac sweatshirt should have his own post. He was clearly coming from a place far beyond my claustrophobic world.

lb

5.4.06  
Anonymous Nafnlaus said...

Even if you arrive at Logan in July, it seems that it is always a 37 degree rain when you get there. Additionally, no amount of construction can hide the fact that the facility was designed for a couple dozen biplane landings a day, not hundreds of jets. Kind of makes it quaint?

5.4.06  

Skrifa ummæli

<< Home