sunnudagur, ágúst 22, 2004

sunsets

I started my new job last Monday, and it's been a whirlwind since then. I feel so strange here, like I don't fit in, and everyone around me is speaking this ancient language... it's been very tough. On top of that I was pretty sick this last week, and started language lessons as well... lots and lots swirling around here.

The company is great, though, very well run and with some neat products. And I can't say enough about how cool and welcoming most of the coworkers are. I think it will be a great place to be for me.

I am living with a family for another week, because my new place is not available until the first of September. The family is taking very good care of me, and I don't think I could have made this transition without them. They are really spectacular people.

Hopefully this week my car will be cleared by customs for release, and I can go pick it up at the harbor. It's been sitting there for 6 days already, and the red tape is insane here. I will also have to pay a 64.5% (!) duty on the cost of the car to get it out, and that equates to around $3400 for the 7-year-old RAV4 - money I really don't have. So this move is cleaning me out pretty well.

I hope it was all worth it. So far, the best part is the sunsets - it sets at around 9:30 now and even after it goes down the twilight lasts for 2 hours. It's a beautiful sky over the cold North Atlantic ocean. You can see the ocean from practically everywhere here, and I really like that.

0 Comments:

Skrifa ummæli

<< Home